[CT Birds] Naugatuck State Forest

Jack Swatt jswattbirds at snet.net
Sun Jun 15 08:03:33 EDT 2014

6/14/19, off Hunter's Mt. Rd.  BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO, and probable RUFFED GROUSE, and, off topic, flowering American Chestnut tree.
I found the chestnut back in early May before leaf out, with hundreds of empty burrs on the ground, and went back yesterday to collect a twig with leaves to send to The American Chestnut Foundation for confirmation and documentation.  While i was at the chestnut tree the grouse flushed from about 10 ft. away.  I only got a quick look at it but I did see a wide tail and bulkier body than a woodcock, which would be the other possibility in this habitat.

Jack Swatt
Wolcott