[CT Birds] Chester, 6/15 - red-tailed hawk (full message, this time)

teustis at killingworthlibrary.org teustis at killingworthlibrary.org
Sun Jun 15 09:27:12 EDT 2014

(My apologies that the text of this didn't come through the first time.
Forgot to change my message over from "rich text" to "plain text")
Chester, 6/15 ~ Close encounter with a red-tailed hawk this Father's Day
morning. I heard multitudinous scolding from the woods, including our
orioles (who are feeding young only days from fledging). I ran out to
see a red-tail flying from tree to tree, trying to find a quiet perch -
it made its worst decision landing in the oak where the orioles are
nesting, where it was continuously dive-bombed by the angry parents (as
well as cardinals and grackles). The hawk finally dropped to the lawn
beside the oak, where it proceeded to pull apart a small rabbit. When
the rest of my family tumbled out the door to observe, it picked up its
breakfast and flew back into the woods.
Tammy Eustis, Chester