[CT Birds] Rentschler Field Update

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Mon Jun 9 14:55:10 EDT 2014

OK, the mowing will now stop finally.  I'd have liked that to happen earlier, but it was a very complex situation.

We will also be meeting with the decision makers on this to have changes moving forward.  Further development is planned there, but I would like to see the habitat continue to be as productive as possible until that time, including the possibility of re-nesting for this season.   The continued presence of Upland Sandpiper is heartening, as it MAY indicate that some nests and/or chicks have survived...if so it was a good thing that Agent Ricardi was able to broker that last minute buffer around the suspected active area.    Grasshopper Sparrows at least should have been fairly early in the process and will likely renest.

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road