[CT Birds] Stamford/Greenwich Summer Bird Count Highlights

Stefan Martin nafets519 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 19:52:53 EDT 2014

With count period wrapped up now, I figured I'd give everyone the highlights from this years Stamford/Greenwich SBC. The count area also includes Rye, Armonk, Mount Kisco and North Castle, which are located in southern Westchester County, NY. We tallied a respectable 133 species of birds over the weekend with 1 new species being added during count period for a total of 134. We missed American Kestrel and Northern Harrier, which is to be expected with recent trends of habitat loss. Also a big miss for the area was Black-throated Green Warbler (I think this was a first time miss for the count)

Red-throated Loon
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Broad-winged Hawk
Black-billed Cuckoo (great year for Cuckoos)
White-eyed Vireo (#'s decreasing here)
Brown Creeper (singing birds in NY territories)
Swainson's Thrush
Brown Thrasher
Northern Parula (Male in NY)
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Magnolia Warbler (Male and Female on separate territories)
KENTUCKY WARBLER (singing male on private property in Stamford)
First time Mourning and Kentucky have both been seen for the same count.

And the main highlight being 2 ROYAL TERNS in LI Sound. Viewed in Rye,NY briefly before disappearing.

If anyone has additional sightings they would like to share for these areas you can email me at Nafets519 at gmail.com

Stefan Martin

Sent from my iPhone