[CT Birds] FW: Eisenhower Park Hidden Gems Walk

Frank Gallo fgallo at ctaudubon.org
Sat Jun 14 16:37:04 EDT 2014

Hi all,

This morning's Coastal Center's Hidden Gem walk was at Eisenhower Park in Milford, an under explored park with a lot of potential. The original plan was to visit the lowland area on the southeast side of the park where a Lawrence's Warbler has been seen, but last night's rain flooded the area. Instead, our group birded the power cut, open fields and forested area near the pond by the main entrance. It was a productive morning with 31 species seen in just over an hour. Highlights included fantastic looks at an adult Orchard Oriole digging around in the gravel near the pond, a flight of 9 wood ducks circling the pond, a stoic Great Blue heron roosting in a tree, 2 adult Black-crowned Night-Herons, and we had a bit of fun watching a nesting pair of downy woodpeckers at their nest. A male hairy woodpecker was quite cooperative along the main path, as well. We'll start of another series in the fall. Canoe tours of the Milford Point Marsh start this month. The birding is wonderful. Check our webpage for details at www.ctaudubon.org.  Good Birding.

Frank Gallo, Director
Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center
At Milford Point
1 Milford Point Road, Milfrod