[CT Birds] Pine Warbler song

kfinnan at aol.com kfinnan at aol.com
Mon Jun 16 21:47:49 EDT 2014

We could probably all spend the rest of our birding lives studying calls and songs!

Just today, the neighborhood Pine Warbler was exhibiting a repertoire that could have been confused with Chipping Sparrows, Juncos and many other birds (but not Worm-eating Warblers).

Then, at the car wash in Litchfield on route 202, another Pine Warbler threw out a much more extensive variety that included the version in the e-mails from last week.

Back in the neighborhood are a Red-eyed Vireo that embeds a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher pwee right in the middle of its song and a Catbird that does perfect imitations of a Phoebe and Towhee among its widely-varying singing. While the Phoebe is a local nester, the YB Fly, of course, only briefly passes through and there hasn't been a Towhee in the area since last year.

Thanks, again, to John Weeks for the link to xeno-canto, which I find to be more valuable than the Macaulay library due to the commentary that accompanies the recordings. For example, I was able to much more quickly track down an obscure version of a Hooded Warbler song on that site. I still refer to the Macaulay library all the time but a way to focus on a particular call/song variant would be an excellent addition.

Kevin Finnan
Goshen
Kfinnan at aol.com