[CT Birds] White-faced Ibis @ Hammo

Russ Smiley arsmiley at comcast.net
Sat Jun 21 18:36:06 EDT 2014

Hammonasset Beach SP, Madison, CT Saturday 21 June 2014: I didn't know it at
the time, around 8:00 AM this morning, but the first ibis I photographed in
the marsh near the far end of the nature center parking field was the
white-faced ibis. The bird was with several glossy ibises. All were backlit
by the low sun and actively feeding, heads buried in the tall grass, so
viewing was difficult. A few photos show the white border encompassing the
reddish face and eye. As with John Gondek's encounter the previous
afternoon, after a few minutes of viewing the birds flew toward Cedar
Island. There were at least a dozen or more glossy ibises in the eastern
marshes.
Russ Smiley
Marlborough, CT