[CT Birds] Fw: Sugar-crazed woodpecker

zellene zellene at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 16 09:56:32 EDT 2014

Sorry, I forgot to change to plain text.

I wrote earlier about a downy that was hogging my hummer feeder. A bear destroyed that feeder and I how have one of the "flat" kind.  A downy has taken over this feeder, chasing the hummers and also another downy. This bird sits there all day and seems in a frenzy, continually stabbing into the sugar water. Even his plumage looks sticky. I am concerned that he is not getting all the nutrients he needs and is ignoring other food sources.....he seems to be addicted to the sugar.  Is this possible?  Can he survive on a diet of sugar water?