[CT Birds] Osprey stewards wanted

Milan Bull mbull at ctaudubon.org
Tue Jun 17 13:55:05 EDT 2014

Connecticut Audubon Society has developed a new citizen science partnership to monitor the health of our state's Osprey population.

We are seeking volunteers to collect basic information about the state's nesting Ospreys.

If you live near an active Osprey nest and can volunteer about an hour a month to be part of our network of stewards, email us at Osprey at Ctaudubon.org.

It was only several decades ago that Ospreys were on the brink of extinction. But they have made a dramatic comeback and now nest in scores of locations along the coast, and on rivers and lakes further inland.

Our network of Osprey Nation stewards will collect and send us data on the birds' arrival dates each spring, the location of nests, nesting success and departure dates.

We will enter the data on an interactive map for everyone to view, and we will submit the data to our partners in this project, the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection.

We have details and an early version of the map in process, showing the kinds of data we'll be looking for, on our website: www.ctaudubon.org/osprey-nation.

If you'd like more information after you read it, or to volunteer for Osprey Nation, write to us at osprey at ctaudubon.org.

We're excited about this new venture, and we hope you'll participate. Thanks!

Milan Bull