[CT Birds] Brooksvale/Naugutuck 6/15 and 6/17

Jim Zipp jimzipp at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 17 19:29:30 EDT 2014

Carol and I covered approx 10 miles between Sunday and Monday starting from our back yard and into Brooksvale Park, Naugutuck State Forest and Water Authority easements.  Total of 54 species all in the forest area.  Highlights were 9 Hooded Warblers and a Lawrence's Warbler.  Similar to John Oshlick's report but while his walk was west of the gas line our walks were east of it.  Our Ovenbird estimate was 45-50 but we did no formal count.  6 Wood Thrush actual nests but many more heard on territory. Fledgling Wood Thrush as well as fledgling Ovenbirds.  Pewee and Scarlet Tanager nearly always within earshot with one pewee gathering spider webs and anchoring it's nest. One noted difference was we found no winter wrens this year on this eastern side like we have in the past.

Jim and Carol Zipp

The Fat RobinWild Bird and Nature Shop
3000 Whitney Ave.  Hamden, CT 06518
Toll Free U.S.  1-866-Fat-Robin