[CT Birds] Yale Forest, Boston Hollow, Ashford, 6-17-14

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Tue Jun 17 21:20:59 EDT 2014

Things are quieting down, but the birds are still there, just  getting down
to business with nesting season. Today I found a Wood Thrush in the  final
stages of completing a nest. Obviously no eggs in it as she was gone for
long periods. She would come back with a small piece of material, carefully
place it, then get into the nest and wiggle herself down, turning in all
directions, apparently testing for fit and comfort. And, apparently satisfied,
she would then fly off again.
I was also surprised to find a pair of Alder Flycatchers in the  Marsh on
Barlow Mill Road (the left just before the bridge on Boston Hollow Rd)  just
after the intersection with Boston Hollow. the male was very near the road,
concealed and singing, and the female was flying around from bush to bush
in the  area. They are late nesters, not generally starting till the 2nd week
in June.  Last time I heard one was almost 2 weeks ago.
I also heard three Winter Wrens today and saw one. That may be  the total
that now remain near the roads. Quite a few Canada Warblers still  singing.
First thing this morning, 1 Black-billed Cuckoo calling up at  the north
end in Union.
Ebird attached.
Don Morgan,  Coventry
mntncougar at aol.com

Boston Hollow/Barlow Mill, Windham, US-CT
Jun 17, 2014 7:30 AM - 12:30  PM
Protocol: Traveling
14.0 mile(s)
Comments:     In  from and back to Rt 89
59 species

Mallard  1
Turkey  Vulture  1
Mourning Dove  6