[CT Birds] 3 Common Raven - Bethany

Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 17 21:41:51 EDT 2014

Yesterday in the very early morning, I had 3 Common Ravens atop the Town Garage at the Old Bethany Airport.  They were perched on the roof or on ventilation stacks, and flew to nearby oaks where they flopped around in the branches.

This early morning, all 3 were hopping around in the middle of one of the two horse rings, jumping onto the ring's white fence and then laboriously flying away, and constantly croaking and making other strange noises.

I know corvids are smart, but instead of Melchio, Caspar and Balthazar, these Ravens act more like Larry, Curly and Moe.  They've been very entertaining.

Usual residents (Barn Swallows, Veery, Ovenbird, Pine Warbler, Indigo Bunting, Chipping Sparrow) are still vocalizing in and around the nearby woods.

Steve Mayo