[CT Birds] A Two Nightjar Day, but in two states

Jack Swatt jswattbirds at snet.net
Tue Jun 17 22:37:13 EDT 2014

I did my Night Birds survey for the CT DEEP early this morning and found 3 WHIP-POOR-WILLs in Southington, before heading up to my camp at Long Pond in Lempster, NH and found a COMMON NIGHTHAWK while kayaking at dusk.

For the CT list:
From Jack Swatt:
6/17/14 - Southington, Mt Vernon Rd power line cut - 1 WHIP-POOR-WILL
Southington, Whitman Rd. - at least 2 WHIP-POOR-WILLs

For the NH list:
1 COMMON NIGHTHAWK seen circling over the northern end of Long Pond in Lempster with one wing-whir display.  Also BARRED OWL calling and COMMON LOON pair nesting.

Jack Swatt
Wolcott, CT
Lempster, NH