[CT Birds] Egret behavior

elphick at sbcglobal.net elphick at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 26 09:21:08 EDT 2014

I've never seen an egret take a saltmarsh sparrow. But I am not surprised.  Large herons and egrets routinely catch birds if given the chance. A frequent example is small rails during high tides (there's a great story about a rare California yellow rail record based on its being snagged this way). I've also seen great blues and great egrets taking blackbirds in fall rice fields as they are being flooded - as flooding occurs all the spilled grain floats up and big flocks of blackbirds descend to consume it.  The herons all line up to consume blackbirds (and rats and mice pushed out by the water).

Chris Elphick
Storrs, CT