[CT Birds] Mulberry bushes or trees

Carole Donagher cdonagher at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 27 09:47:29 EDT 2014

Good Point Kathy!!!

The Cornell Horticulture website does list morus rubra as the native, with "Illinois everbearing" among the native varieties

On Friday, June 27, 2014 9:02 AM, Kathy Van Der Aue <kathyvda at gmail.com> wrote:

I believe that only the Red Mulberry (Morus rubra) is native.

Kathy Van Der Aue
Southport, Connecticut

I can also attest to the fantastic berry source that Mulberry trees  are .  I believe mine is also an Illinois variety, bought at Agway.  It is almost 10 years old and has grown to a (pruned) 25' high.  It too is loaded with small unripe berries right now which  will probably be ready to eat in 2-3 weeks.  It is a bit messy but most of the berry scraps are eaten since it is planted in a grassy area.  It doesn't even require a lot of sun.  The mess might be noticed if children play in the area.