[CT Birds] Boston Hollow/Barlow Mill Rd, Yale forest, Ashford/ Union CT 6-28-14

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sat Jun 28 21:19:13 EDT 2014

Yesterday was a good day but today was a better one, with  bright sun and
light winds. I picked up a few species today that I missed  yesterday. Heard
a Raven for the first time in over a week. Now that  nesting is over they
only visit the Hollow once in a while.
The number of species is as high as ever, but I am hearing less  of each
species now. I assume that nesting has gone into high gear and they are
laying low.  My Wood Thrush stays down deep in her nest, and yesterday the  male
was standing on the branch about 6 inches away. Also, yesterday, I spotted
an Am. Redstart nest with the female on it and she was there again today.
Dad  stopped by to say hello.
Today I saw what appeared to be a Veery go to  what looked like a pile of
leaves in the base of a Barberry bush, about 6 inches  above the ground. When
I looked closer there was an obvious cup in the middle of  it so I'm sure
it was a nest under construction. Appeared to be old maple leaves  or
similar. I can find nothing  about Veery nests or nesting online. Anyone  know if
that sounds typical for a Veery - or maybe some other  species?
Ebird list below.

Boston Hollow/Barlow Mill, Windham, US-CT
Jun 28, 2014 7:00 AM - 12:15  PM
Protocol: Traveling
8.0 mile(s)
65 species

Mallard   1
Great Blue Heron  1
Turkey Vulture  4
Broad-winged  Hawk  4
Mourning Dove  5
Ruby-throated Hummingbird   2
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  4
Hairy  Woodpecker  2
Pileated Woodpecker  3
Eastern Wood-Pewee   3
Acadian Flycatcher  2
Alder Flycatcher  1
Least  Flycatcher  2
Eastern Phoebe  8
Great Crested Flycatcher   1
Yellow-throated Vireo  1     Probable. I don't often  see or hear  them but
this sounded like one and did NOT sound like  Blue-headed.Voice more burry.
Very slow cadence.
Blue-headed Vireo   5
Warbling Vireo  3
Red-eyed Vireo  10