[CT Birds] Egret Behavior

Jason Rieger mareforte at comcast.net
Wed Jun 25 20:20:42 EDT 2014

Hammonasset SP

Was just watching a Great Egret in the small marsh near Cedar Island from the blind.
It was still as a statue with its head and neck slightly forward and pointed up. It's neck was vibrating making a buzzing sound. I thought I was about to see it catch a fish.
Instead, it lashed out and caught a Saltmarsh Sparrow that perched just near it. It shook it by the neck repeatedly and proceeded to dunk it in the water several times. Then it swallowed it down.
I was very curious if this is normal or unusual behavior?

Jason Rieger
mareforte at comcast.net

Sent from my iPhone