[CT Birds] Egret Behavior

Robley Evans rjeva at conncoll.edu
Thu Jun 26 15:51:17 EDT 2014

This sounds normal for these big feathered predators that rule the marshes.
 Several years ago I watched a great blue heron spear and swallow a small
muskrat that ventured near it.  Furthermore birds generally will kill
chicks of other birds if found in "their" territory.  Orchard oriole
slaughtered two song sparrows just off the nest here in 2012.  Did not eat
them, of course.  Just don't get too close to bigger members of the
Ciconiiformes.  Robley Evans  North Stonington