[CT Birds] Mulberry bushes or trees

Carole Donagher cdonagher at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 27 06:57:31 EDT 2014

I can also attest to the fantastic berry source that Mulberry trees  are .  I believe mine is also an Illinois variety, bought at Agway.  It is almost 10 years old and has grown to a (pruned) 25' high.  It too is loaded with small unripe berries right now which  will probably be ready to eat in 2-3 weeks.  It is a bit messy but most of the berry scraps are eaten since it is planted in a grassy area.  It doesn't even require a lot of sun.  The mess might be noticed if children play in the area.

My resident pair of bluebirds teach their summer young off of that tree, and my 4-5 robin families in the area strip it clean quickly.

Carole Donagher