[CT Birds] Fwd: Planned drawdown at Lake Whitney [Hamden]

Arthur Shippee ashippee at snet.net
Wed Jul 2 11:37:47 EDT 2014

Precise dates not given, but there should be exposed ground around Lake Whitney in Hamden this July, which might bring in some interesting birds -- at least, interesting for here.

Begin forwarded message:
> Subject: Planned drawdown at Lake Whitney
> Date: July 2, 2014 at 11:29:36 AM EDT
>
> In the coming weeks we are planning to lower the water level in Lake Whitney reservoir to facilitate routine dam maintenance activities.  The reservoir will be lowered by about five to seven feet below the level of the spillway, noticeably exposing some shoreline areas. We expect the work will last one to two weeks, after which we will allow the reservoir to refill.  We will provide further information as to start date and other details once they become available.

(Most of the water in Lake Whitney is below Whitney Avenue, so even a fair amount of exposed land doesn't mean a big reduction in volume.)