[CT Birds] Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, Ashford/Union

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sun Jul 6 23:57:15 EDT 2014

Lots less birds singing or showing themselves, but a great day
nevertheless. First Barred Owl I've seen in 2 years (See COA Facebook  page) And FOS
Osprey following Bigelow Brook downstream. Also a Purple  Finch in the middle
of Barlow Mill Road, exact same spot I saw a pair 2 years  ago. No
overhanging trees so I assumed it was after gravel, but several pictures  show it had
part of what looked like a worm. Maybe something that got run over.  Still
more Veerys than I've ever seen/heard there before, way outnumbering
anything else.  Couple of C. Ravens still hanging around and  chatting.
Ebird report below

Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, Windham, US-CT
Jul 6, 2014 7:30  AM - 1:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
8.0 mile(s)
57 species

Great  Blue Heron  1
Turkey Vulture  4
Osprey  1   FOS in Yale Forest this year
Mourning Dove  5
Barred  Owl  1     1st 1 I've seen there in 2 years, Heard twice
previously this year. Same area a pair and young were found 4 or 5 yeas  ago.
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker   1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  2
Downy Woodpecker  2