[CT Birds] White-faced Ibis

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 17:36:06 EDT 2014

The presence of an apparent adult White-faced Ibis in late June at
Hammonasset makes you wonder where this bird is breeding, and with what.
Last May, on our Big Day, we had a WFIB fly onto Duck Island off the
Westbrook coast. So is White-faced Ibis breeding in Connecticut? If so, is
it paired with another WFIB or with a Glossy Ibis?

After our observation last May, I inquired about access to Duck Island. The
island is completely closed during the breeding season, which I do
understand is necessary for the protection of the nesting birds. However, I
had assumed that one could legally stand below the high tide line and
survey birds from there with a scope - WRONG. That's not legal either
(sigh). So I guess this will remain a mystery for now.

If anyone out there has special access to ibis rookeries along the CT
coast, look closely at as many ibis as you can to identify them to species.
There could easily be more than one WFIB summering along the CT coast,
particularly as this species expands its range to the east. It would be
fascinating to know exactly what they're doing here in June.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT