[CT Birds] Long Island Sound birds 7/2

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 3 07:38:04 EDT 2014

7/2 Long Island Sound birds
For those who may be wondering what birds are out on Long Island Sound now, the answer is "Not much".
I spent 11 hours Tuesday scanning for birds aboard a research vessel that traveled from Milford, CT west to New Rochelle and Sands Point, NY; returning via Northport, NY and back to Milford; 7am to 6pm. We got back minutes before the severe thunderstorms arrived. The surface water temperature was about 69F. The weather out there was delightful; noticeably cooler and less hazy than on land.

It was pretty non-eventful, with no seabirds (storm-petrels, shearwaters, etc.) seen. There was a smattering of the usual gulls, Common Terns, Double-crested Cormorants, fly-by Great and Snowy Egrets.
Highlights were:
- about 25 LAUGHING GULLS feeding along lines of convergence near Execution Rocks Lighthouse in NY.
- MIGRATING SWALLOWS - 4 Barn Swallows and 1 Bank Swallow were clearly migrants heading sw over mid-Sound.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford, CT