[CT Birds] Boston Hollow, Yale Forest, Ashford, 7-8-14, Eastern Screech Owl

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Tue Jul 8 21:23:16 EDT 2014

Very shortly after I got there this morning I clearly heard a  Screech Owl
call about half a dozen times. It was around half a mile after the  dirt
begins, although I don't know exactly because I only heard one series of  calls
and it stopped before I could try to get closer. 1st one ever for me in
the Yale Forest.
Lots of Juvenile birds starting to appear; Robins, Towhees,  Downy and
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker today. I am sure the Waterthrushes have  families now.
I have heard a lot of calls in the brush, though I haven't seen  any yet. I
saw 5 hen Turkeys in a tight group and I'm suspicious they were
almost-grown juvies, but I have no way of knowing.
 I heard 4 different Winter Wrens today, most in a long  time. 1 was in a
new location for this year.
Ebird below:

Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, Windham, US-CT
Jul 8, 2014 7:10 AM - 12:50  PM
Protocol: Traveling
9.0 mile(s)
58 species

Wild Turkey   5
Turkey Vulture  1
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Mourning Dove   7
Black-billed Cuckoo  1
Eastern Screech-Owl  1   First ever for me in Boston Holow. Shortly after 7
 AM
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  2
Red-bellied Woodpecker   1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  1     juvenile
Downy  Woodpecker  6     2 juveniles
Pileated Woodpecker   1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  2
Acadian Flycatcher  1
Least  Flycatcher  2
Eastern Phoebe  10
Yellow-throated Vireo   2
Blue-headed Vireo  8
Warbling Vireo  2
Red-eyed Vireo   12
Blue Jay  4
Tree Swallow  1
Black-capped Chickadee   12
Tufted Titmouse  4
White-breasted Nuthatch  4
Brown  Creeper  2
Winter Wren  4
Eastern Bluebird   1
Veery  15
Hermit Thrush  2
Wood Thrush  3
American  Robin  10     Includes 2 juveniles
Gray Catbird   10
Cedar Waxwing  12
Ovenbird  10
Louisiana Waterthrush   1