[CT Birds] BIRD CALL HAS ME STUMPED

mcavallero1 at comcast.net mcavallero1 at comcast.net
Sun Jul 13 20:25:15 EDT 2014

Possibly a scarlet tanager?
Mona Cavallero
west hartford, CT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph Budrow via CTBirds" <ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org>
To: ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org
Sent: Sunday, July 13, 2014 8:21:33 PM
Subject: [CT Birds] BIRD CALL HAS ME STUMPED

Hello birders...last weekend I was walking my pup out of Chatfield Hollow SP and approaching the front lots when a loud and clear call came from the woods. Still has me stumped and now here I am asking for guidance. The habitat was mixed woods with huge ledge outcrops. A swamp to the west.

What I heard was a repeated 2-syllable call that I have never heard before...at least not that I remember.

First syllable a sharp high pitched "CHIP!!" immediately followed by a lower "burr"! The 'burr" was more of a note than a drawn out buzzy note. Each syllable was the same length.

CHIP-burr...
CHIP-burr...
CHIP-burr...

I would say 10 seconds between the calls.

Any ideas? Can't blame this on some variable titmouse call :)

Joe in Madison