[CT Birds] Wethersfield Red Tailed Hawk

James Sherwonit jsherwonit at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 11 13:27:51 EDT 2014

Yesterday while at the Wethersfield Country club I observed a sparrow attacking a ret tail.
What was amazing was that the sparrow was actually grabbing onto the nape of the hawk and "riding it for several beats before letting go and chasing again.  Then it would grab and ride again.  This happened 3 or 4 times until the hawk finally got out of range of the sparrow.

I've seen birds chase and attack hawks before but never actually grab on and ride.  Very cool!

Jim Sherwonit
Old Saybrook