[CT Birds] American Bitterns

Angeladimmitt at aol.com Angeladimmitt at aol.com
Sun Jul 13 11:57:48 EDT 2014

from Angela Dimmitt
7/13 Sherman/Wimisink Marsh - 3 babies on island and one adult in open
pond.  Interesting behavior:  yesterday we saw the adult whacking a  baby who
asked to be fed, before flying away to the south pond;  this  morning the saw
the adult actually feeding two babies who demanded it -  presumably the
mother while yesterday was the father.  A bit sexist, but  hey, what's new?!
We did see one baby fishing for itself.
Also, the yellow-billed cuckoo flew by again to the trees to the left of
the boardwalk, and a kingfisher twice flew south across the pond carrying
food -  second brood?