[CT Birds] Bird names

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Tue Jul 15 10:49:49 EDT 2014

The AOU also provides an official spelling (including capitalization) for each species name.  The new name is hyphenated: Lesser Sand-Plover.

I don't pretend to appreciate the underlying rules they follow, but the above seems to be in agreement with the way they treat the phrase Night-Heron.  (Black-crowned Night-Heron, Yellow-crowned Night-Heron)

Roy Harvey (Picker of Nits)
Beacon Falls, CT