[CT Birds] Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, Ashford/Union, Monday, 7-14-14

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Tue Jul 15 12:55:36 EDT 2014

Even with not-so-nice weather the woods are full of birds right  now, with
juvies everywhere. There was a family of Baltimore Orioles with dad  leading
5!! youngsters around, and they nicely posed in a dead hemlock for me. I
checked on the Redstart nest in Union and the babies have fledged, but they
were  fluttering around in the brush right across the road, 4 or more, I'd
say.  Chickadees are out in force with lots of twittering in the branches,
almost  everywhere, and there are several new families of White-breasted
Nuthatches.  Red-winged Blackbirds and Common Grackles are busy now, feeding
begging  young.

I also discovered that there's a pair Barred Owls, and  probably a nest,
although the young should be fledging about now. I heard a soft  sound,
repeated at intervals, some distance up the brook near where I saw the  owl last
week. I drove to that spot  and found a bunch of Blue Jays  noisily mobbing
something. Sure enough, I heard "Who cooks for you" about  100 yards to my
left. But the surprise was the answering call coming from the  right, with a
higher pitched voice. No doubt, a male and female. This is the  exact spot I
saw a pair several times 3 or 4 years ago, with three fledgling  owlets. I'd
like to think this is the same pair.

Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, Windham, US-CT
Jul 14, 2014 7:00 AM - 3:30  PM
Protocol: Traveling
14.0 mile(s)
59 species (+1 other  taxa)

Great Blue Heron  1
Turkey Vulture  1
Broad-winged  Hawk  1
Mourning Dove  6
Yellow-billed Cuckoo  1
Barred  Owl  2     Male called, female answered
Ruby-throated  Hummingbird  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  2
Downy Woodpecker   6
Hairy Woodpecker  2
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Eastern  Wood-Pewee  5
Acadian Flycatcher  3
Alder/Willow Flycatcher  (Traill's Flycatcher)  1
Least Flycatcher  1
Eastern  Phoebe  12
Great Crested Flycatcher  1
Eastern Kingbird   1
Yellow-throated Vireo  3
Blue-headed Vireo  5
Red-eyed  Vireo  15
Blue Jay  6
Common Raven  1
Tree Swallow   2
Black-capped Chickadee  20
Tufted Titmouse   6
White-breasted Nuthatch  4
Brown Creeper  2
Winter  Wren  2
Veery  15
Hermit Thrush  4
Wood Thrush   2
American Robin  15
Gray Catbird  12
Cedar Waxwing   8
Ovenbird  12
Louisiana Waterthrush  2
Northern  Waterthrush  2
Black-and-white Warbler  8
Common  Yellowthroat  10
American Redstart  6
Magnolia Warbler   3
Blackburnian Warbler  4
Yellow Warbler  6
Chestnut-sided  Warbler  3
Black-throated Blue Warbler  6
Pine Warbler   4
Black-throated Green Warbler  10
Canada Warbler  3
Eastern  Towhee  8
Chipping Sparrow  15
Song Sparrow  5
Scarlet  Tanager  2
Northern Cardinal  5
Rose-breasted Grosbeak   4
Red-winged Blackbird  8
Common Grackle  6
Brown-headed  Cowbird  8
Baltimore Oriole  7     saw dad with 5!  juvies in tow, all in same dead
tree
American Goldfinch  8

Don Morgan,  Coventry
mntncougar at aol.com