[CT Birds] Fwd: eBird Reports - Upper Lake Whitney Cycle, Jul 14 & 15, 2014

Arthur Shippee ashippee at snet.net
Tue Jul 15 17:09:18 EDT 2014

Two afternoon walks around upper Lake Whitney, yesterday & today.  Highlights:  Kingfisher;  Accipiter kids chattering to one another;  and almost 3 dozen species over a couple of days.  Combined eBird list.

From Arthur Shippee:
07/15/14 - Hamden, Upper Lake Whitney -- Black Vulture

Begin forwarded message:

Upper Lake Whitney Cycle, New Haven, US-CT
Jul 14, 2014 2:45 PM - 4:15 PM
	& Jul 15, 2014 2:20 PM - 3:50 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.5 mile(s)
35 species (including Coop/SS & Balt/Orch O)

Canada Goose  33
Mute Swan  4     or more.  Family with cygnets (#?) still by Mill River mouth.
Wood Duck  8
Double-crested Cormorant  X
Great Blue Heron  X
Green Heron  1     Maybe 2nd
Black-crowned Night-Heron  1
Black Vulture  1
Turkey Vulture  1
Accipiter sp.  3
Osprey  1
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon)  3
Mourning Dove  3
Chimney Swift  X
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  X
Downy Woodpecker  1
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Eastern Kingbird  3
Blue Jay  2
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  X
Barn Swallow  20     Or more.
Black-capped Chickadee  X
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
American Robin  X
Gray Catbird  X
Cedar Waxwing  4
Song Sparrow  X
Northern Cardinal  X
Red-winged Blackbird  X
Common Grackle  X
blackbird sp.  2     2 F/Imm Oriole, either Baltimore or Orchard;  couldn't tell which.  I lean towards Orchard by color, but not at all sure.  We've had both O's in the area.
House Finch  X
American Goldfinch  X
House Sparrow  X

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S19100119