[CT Birds] American Avocet at the Coastal Center

Frank Gallo fgallo at ctaudubon.org
Mon Jul 14 15:05:10 EDT 2014

While leading a summer camp group through the Wheeler Marsh at Milford Point, Jesus Tirado and I found an American Avocet roosting with egrets in the center of the marsh at high tide. The bird flew to the west and we were unable to relocate it.  We have a rather distant photo that clearly shows the black and white wing/body pattern, rusty neck and upturned bill. This is a first for our campers and everyone was quite excited. Check both the Milford and Stratford marshes. Avocets often stick around a couple of days here.. .

Frank Gallo, Director
Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center
1 Milford Point Road
Milford, CT 06460