[CT Birds] Old Tavern Rd baseball field osprey nest

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 16:08:19 EDT 2014

Orange, osprey nest at Old Tavern Rd. baseball fields.
This nest is active- today at 3:20 I observed a large, feathered "chick"
as it was in an upright position next to the female osprey.  It stood up to
defecate . At that time, I could see the beautiful mottled back.  Possibly
a second chick on nest was sitting behind the female, but I need further
confirmation. Chimney swifts flew by and a Great blue heron, before the
thundering began.
Osprey nest on cell tower, does not appear to be an active nest site this
year.  It's possible that those ospreys are now the occupants and builders
of the nest at the baseball fields, which are not too far apart.
Bev Propen, Orange