[CT Birds] OT - Accipiter ID quiz

Joseph Cala joseph.e.cala at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 22:18:56 EDT 2014

One of the ID forums that I participate in had a very lengthy debate over
the ID of this accipiter, and I figured that since this one species that so
many folks struggle with -- and given that we'll start seeing a lot more
juveniles of these species in the coming months -- a picture quiz might be

This particular bird presents some very fun ID challenges -- I won't cite
which ones specifically because that would potentially give away the ID.

This bird was seen in Boise, Idaho recently.  Here are the two pictures
that were presented:

I'd love to hear everyone's opinions on this ID -- and why, if you're
interested in playing along.  As an FYI I've had two very esteemed raptor
ID experts (and authors) concur on the ID.