[CT Birds] Accipitor ID

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Mon Jul 21 14:57:40 EDT 2014

Joe, I think, based on the 2 photos you supplied, it is  unrealistic to
flatly state the bird is a Coop. It well may be, but there is  nothing so
diagnostic in those photos as to rule out a Sharpie. There are too  many things
that can't be told from these pictures to make a certain ID in my  opinion,
which is why I didn't respond and perhaps why none of the other LHP
hawkwatch counters did either.
It does appear that the bird is still in a molt, or, given that  it's a
juvenile, may be still growing out it's first full set of flight  feathers.
However, the tail is quite long for either species, and I doubt that  any
remaining growth is going to change the shape very much. At the same time, I  can
agree, the head PROJECTION,  which is the real ID key, does look long  for
a Sharpie, although the head itself looks rather small in comparison to the
body. It is possible the angle the photos were taken from has some
influence on  the appearance.
And in the 2nd photo the wings do look rather short for a  Coop. I don't
think the wing shape in either photo can be considered  diagnostic.  It's true
that juvenile Sharpies often have darker and more  extensive striping on
the breast and belly, but it is extremely  variable,  and to use it alone
would be a mistake.
One thing not mentioned at all in this discussion is the  white on the tip
of the tail. Generally a Coop will have more than a Sharpie and  more than
is shown in the photos. There are some other appearance issues as  well.
But it's the things we cant see in those photos that are the  most
important. Number one, how big is it? In the 2nd photo it looks fairly  small, but
frankly that can't really be told from a photo. An experienced  hawk watcher
will have a fairly good sense of size given that good of a look  (almost
straight up) in the air. If it appears really small, chances greatly  increase
that it's a sharpie. A small male is unmistakable.
Number 2, how does it fly? Both species use "flap flap glide",  but one of
the better identifiers is how forceful the "flap" is. A Coop  generally has
a fairly strong, powerful looking stroke, while a Sharpie  usually looks
relatively weak and tentative. And notice the word "relatively."  Beyond that,
both birds tend to bounce around a bit, but it is much more  noticeable in a
Sharpie, particularly if there is a good breeze blowing.
Head projection is a much better indicator when the bird is  seen flying
because you generally can see it from different angles. Sometimes  the head
almost seems to disappear between the wings on a  Sharpie.
Were there any other birds with it? Was there any chasing going  on?
Sharpies tend to chase both each other and Coops more than Coops do, though  both
will, on occasion. Sharpies are somewhat more likely to be in pairs or
groups than Coops are.
Another question, of a different sort; what is the  relative abundance of
the 2 species in the area where it was seen? At Light  House Point we have a
relatively high count of Coopers Hawks, but in most places  on the east
coast the Sharpie percentage is far higher. On the other hand,  If you see an
accipitor in southeastern Arizona, 99 to 1 (or more) it's a Coop.  I've birded
there for years and only this year did I see a Sharpie. Took  me  a long
time to make my decision on it. This may seem an odd point, but  I think it
applies the same as it would to a possible rarity sighting: always  answer why
it isn't what you would expect to see first.
Again, I'm not disputing that it may be a Coop, but I think we  have too
little information to be certain.

Don Morgan
Coventry, Ct

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj591/Hopsing129/IMGP6071_zpsbf863229.jpg