[CT Birds] Question on Grass Lawns

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 24 11:13:32 EDT 2014

I am once again curious about the following subject, and hope someone on this site might know the answer to this.
I have often wondered about what the American Robin's habitat was before the advent of the American Lawn. There were no grass lawns before America was settled by the white man. Today our country is now covered with many more open grassy areas including numerous cut grass lawns. I can not remember ever seeing our Robins living or feeding in other habitat other than our numerous grass lawns. Yesterday in my thick back woods, I spotted a Wood Thrush bathing in a small stream and thought, "I never saw a Robin in here ever."
So What is the answer? What habitat did the Robin occupy before their were cut grass lawns?