[CT Birds] Kingfishers

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 25 08:05:07 EDT 2014

Regarding the recent discussion about the status of Belted Kingfishers, I always get the feeling that these anecdotal threads start to feed off each other. Here's some numbers (with obviously many variables possible):

In July 2014 to date (with a few days left to go) Kingfishers were reported from 49 different locations.
In July 2013 (whole month), they were reported from 53 locations.

So by my count that's almost identical. One of my little pet points is that the presence or absence of a species around a yard or a local patch in a given year has little meaning for the big picture. In writing newspaper nature columns from many years, I'm often contacted by distressed folks who think the absence or even reduced number of a species at  their feeders or local area has them witness to a global cataclysm. Entering all species, including common ones, in eBird helps paint the big picture.

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury