[CT Birds] Coastal migration-Greenwich

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 25 08:22:05 EDT 2014

Hi Stefan,

Glad you posted this. I really like keeping track of that kind of thing. Bobolinks definitely move early, although they can be hard to detect. I've gone to Lighthouse Point on July cold fronts a few times to get a feel for how early things move. Your post got me scurrying to my notebooks.

On July 10, 1995, I had 6 Bobolinks moving through.

On July 20, 1999 I had 50 in 2 hours. I recall that on those dates there were males in motley molting plumage, but by the time the main movements occur in Aug-early Sept. they'll all be identical, golden in the early morning light at Lighthouse.

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury