[CT Birds] Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, Ashford/union, Ct 7-26-14 Acadian Flycatchers.

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sat Jul 26 19:28:23 EDT 2014

The majority of the birds have stopped singing now, so it's  harder to find
them. But the woods are still overflowing with know-nothing  juveniles,
that make a lot of noise and aren't shy at all. It even seems some of  the
adults are less reluctant to be seen now that breeding season is over for  them.
Had a Worm-eating Warbler foraging today, even though I haven't heard one
sing for weeks now. Also, several Ovenbirds in the last few days, both adult
and  juvenile. Saw a pair of juvenile Wood Thrushes foraging together
today,  perhaps from the nest I watched until they fledged.
There have been 2 late-arrival Acadian Flycatchers in the area,  one
singing consistenlty, including today, and one on and off. But the one in  the
area where they nested 3 years ago stopped singing about 2 weeks ago, and I
had never seen any evidence of a mate or nesting, except that he seemed to
sing  consistently from an area of young hemlocks. However, I have seen one
foraging  from time to time.
Today I spotted 1 in a young choke-cherry tree and quickly  noticed it was
being chased around by something, but I couldn't tell what. I  finally
realized it was an RT Hummer, which was not much smaller than the  flycatcher.
Never realized how small they are.
Best part however, was when the bird was joined by a second one  in the
tree! So there are two, at least, a pair probably, or adult and juvie or  even
2 juvies. Pretty good evidence that there was, in fact, a nest though.
Sadly, I found a dead female or juvenile Scarlet Tanager in the  road
today, so the attrition has begun.
Ebird below. Not as many species as earlier, but not bad  considering most
of them were sighted, not heard, and still a nice mix of  the birds that
nest in the area.

Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, Windham, US-CT
Jul 26, 2014 8:00 AM - 12:30  PM
Protocol: Traveling
10.0 mile(s)
47 species (+2 other  taxa)