[CT Birds] Goshawk ID follow up

Joseph Cala joseph.e.cala at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 21:47:41 EDT 2014

All-

A few months ago I cautioned and urged extra scrutiny on any suspected
juvenile Goshawks -- particularly birds that were in a backyard setting or
frequenting a feeder.  We rarely get to see these birds so making quick
calls on ID's are large accipiters can certainly be difficult.

I finally managed to get a halfway decent picture of a juvenile Goshawk and
wanted to point a few things out, since some of us will be lucky enough to
see them in the next coming months at various hawk watch sites (or locally)
throughout the state.

http://josephcala.zenfolio.com/img/s7/v155/p89900750-5.jpg

Please forgive the poor photo--not the usual standards but does show the ID
points well.  Note the very large white supercillium--some Cooper's and
Sharpies will show this, but it will not be this extensive.

Note the dark, thick breast streaks over a buff/tawny breast color.  While
Cooper's and Sharpies exist with thicker breast streaking (Cooper's
especially in the west) they don't exist with the breast color that a
juvenile Goshawk will show.

Two final ID points that are obscured/tough to see here.  One being a very
long, broad tail.  The other being that frequently that heavy streaking
will creep onto the undertail coverts -- again, something that you do not
see even with heavily marked Cooper's and Sharpies.

Happy birding!