[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club August Activities

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Tue Jul 29 20:40:29 EDT 2014

Folks,

Here is the New Haven Bird Club’s schedule of activities during August:

Beginner’s Bird Walk at Sandy Point IBA, West Haven.  Friday, August
8, 6:30 pm.  (Note: This is an evening walk). Free and open to the
public.  On our walk to this Important Bird Area (IBA), we will focus
on beach-nesting birds, such as the Piping Plover, and other
shorebirds that use Sandy Point to rest and refuel during migration.
Participants will also learn about threats to beach-nesting birds as
well as strategies for protecting them. This walk is geared to
beginners but families and birders of all levels are welcome. More
advanced birders not only can enjoy a day out but also provide
support and inspiration to the newcomers. The Sandy Pt. parking lot
is on Beach Street, about a quarter mile east of Chick’s Restaurant.
There will be no parking fee. Leader: Corrie Folsom-O'Keefe:
203-630-9640, or cfolsom-okeefe at audubon.org.

Menunketesuck Flats and River Marsh, Westbrook.  Saturday, August 16,
2014, 8:30 am. Free and open to the public.  Enjoy an excursion on
the beach!  We will walk along Seaside Avenue in Westbrook and out
onto Menunketesuck Flats at low tide to look for shorebirds, terns,
and other water birds.  The mud flats at low tide are a great place
to see shorebirds. We’ll then visit the Salt Meadow Unit of the
Stewart B. McKinney National  Wildlife Refuge to look out into the
marsh, one of the best locations in CT for Little Blue Heron and
Glossy Ibis.  The woods and brushy fields in the refuge will feature
land birds. Meet at the town hall parking lot at 866 Boston Post Road
in Westbrook. Wear shoes you won’t mind getting wet or muddy.
Leader: Chris Loscalzo: 203-389-6508 or closcalz at optonline.net.

Lighthouse Point Bird Walk and Prep for Migration Festival.
Saturday, August 23, 2014, 8:00 am. Free and open to the public.
Join Park Ranger Dan Barvir on a late summer bird walk at Lighthouse
Point Park on New Haven Harbor.  Then, beginning around 9:30 am,
we’ll perform some light trail maintenance and cleanup.  This is a
great way to enjoy looking at birds and help preserve their habitat
at the same time. Meet at the Hawk Watch parking lot in the park.
Leader: Dan Barvir: 203-946-6086.  Lighthouse Point Park is part of
the New Haven Parks Dept.

Thanks,
Larry Bausher, West Haven
NHBC Publicity Director