[CT Birds] Rufous Hummingbird

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 30 12:09:26 EDT 2014

Thanks to C.M. for reporting an adult Rufous Hummingbird at his Kent feeder yesterday. He was kind enough to share photos of it with me. The bird exhibits a bill that is apparently damaged/worn at the base. I assume it is still able to feed OK.

Of interest is that last week another adult Rufous Hummingbird (with intact bill) had been visiting a Townsend, MA feeder. The link to photos:

It just points out to CT birders that we should keep an eye open for other rare hummingbirds in our gardens and at feeders. It was Aug 13, 2008 when a Broad-billed Hummingbird was photographed in Montville for a first CT record.
The droughts and wildfires out west might be a factor in these birds wandering east at this season.

Keep your eyes to the skies.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford