[CT Birds] Screeching

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Fri Aug 1 01:54:40 EDT 2014

Tonight my wife alerted me to owl sounds outside so I sat on the back steps for a while.  Most years any time from now to late September or October I will hear them at least once from in the house.  Sure enough, there was an Eastern Screech Owl doing brief whinny and trill sounds - shorter than I have heard before.  What was really new to me was hearing a response that was more of a screech, possibly from more than one source.  (I know it's their name, I just never heard it before.)  After a couple of minutes the whinnying and trilling stopped and there was nothing but screeches back and forth, with at least two birds involved.  For a short while I also heard a sound that reminded me of a woodpecker pecking.  After the sounds moved away and I came in, a bit of research explained that was "bill-claps".  That bird must have been right in the tree next to me.

I assume a family group was making a night of it, probably with inexperienced young along.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT