[CT Birds] Silver Sands

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 12:56:47 EDT 2014

​8/3  9:45am-11:15AM Milford, Silver Sands State Park.
Just a leisurely walk along the boardwalk and through the back of the park
briefly:
2 AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHERS along the wrackline, 1 WILLOW FLYCATCHER
(Fitzbewh-at marshy area along boardwalk paralleling shoreline),6
KILLDEER-in marshy area by boardwalk coming into park- 2 of the Killdeer
were doing a "dance" which I had not previously observed- they had their
tails up in the air and front bodies bent downwards, and turning around
next to each other,  6 AMERICAN BLACKS DUCKS, 3 MOCKINGBIRDS, 4 AMERICAN
CROWS, 1 OSPREY, 6 SNOWY EGRETS (1 was doing the shuffling with its feet to
stir up food and really busy eating), BARN SWALLOWS, TREE SWALLOWS, A GOLD
FINCH, 5 GREAT BLACK BACKED GULLS with both Ring billed & HERRING GULLS, a
few small shorebirds flew by too fast for me to identify,  MOURNING DOVES,
AMERICAN ROBINS, numerous RED WINGED BLACKBIRDS, COWBIRDS, 100+ STARLINGS
(mostly juveniles), SONG SPARROWS, HOUSE SPARROWS,  2 deer.
I was amazed at how many people were walking around on Charles Island
despite numerous signs being posted to stay off because of the nesting
birds.
On an aside, my yard has been getting many Red winged blackbirds over the
past week.  Adults ( male & females & juveniles) and there were 9 juvenile
Cowbirds this morning  :(
Bev Propen, Orange