[CT Birds] Pesticides killing birds

Alex Burdo aburdo10 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 17:29:05 EDT 2014

Paul,

The sad part is that humans do eat foods that contain pesticides and other
poisons. All the time. If the food you're eating is not organic, it very
well could have residual pesticides in it in some form or amount. Food
sprayed with pesticides has been proven to have health effects on humans
(although I don't have a study handy at the moment).

One of the most egregious examples of pesticides being used on human food
(with likely disastrous effects on nearby wildlife), is that of McDonald's
french fries. McDonald's likes their fries nice and long, so they can
produce that cornucopia of fries that is so often associated with the
chain. In order to create that "cornucopia", they must utilize a specific
kind of potato (the name of which is escaping me at the moment). McDonald's
wants their french fries to appear perfect in the box, and thus no bruises
or blemishes may be present on the potato. A type of aphid associated with
these potatoes often causes such marks, so the farmers spray their field
with pesticide. But not just any pesticide. A pesticide in such quantity
that the farmers are not permitted to, nor dare venture out into their
fields for five days after spraying due to the health hazard. After the
potatoes are sprayed, they are gathered up, and put into a football-sized
dome to "aerate" for an extended period of time, in order to rid them of
the deadly pesticides. But is it possible, even probable that residual
pesticide remains in some of the potatoes? Absolutely. Bon appetit.

The spraying of such deadly pesticides/insecticides by corporations like
McDonald's (although the root of all evil in this case is Monsanto, the
creator of DDT and Agent Orange) is one of the major reasons for the
drastic decline in aerial insectivores we've seen over the previous fifty
years or so. And none of the corporations care. Not one iota. Because, as
Paul said, it's all about money. That's all they care about. The greed of
humanity in pursuit of the ultimately superficial goal of monetary wealth
is on its way to sinking not only itself but this planet and its birds and
other life.

But let's not let that happen. Let's stand up and fight for the birds,
wildlife, and ecosystems that we care so much about, that bring us so much
happiness. We owe it to them, and ultimately to ourselves, to do our best
to preserve the majesty, splendor, and miracle that is life for generations
to come.

Alex Burdo
Fairfield

Alex Burdo