[CT Birds] CT coast 7/29 - Wilson's Storm-Petrel, Long-billed Dow, Stilt Sand

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 19:14:48 EDT 2014

Had a very enjoyable day birding with Glenn Williams, Phil Rusch, and Andy
Griswold in part. Highlights as follows:

Old Lyme, Griswold Pt with GW and PR- flyby SOLITARY SANDPIPER, moderate
numbers of common shorebirds, very few terns other than nesting Leasts, all
6 expected swallow species including a single CLIFF SWALLOW with most birds
obviously migrating.
ebird checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S19256331

Old Lyme, offshore with AG, GW and PR - We set up a fish oil slick around
11:00am at 41.230619, -72.303386 on a 10-15mph breeze from the west. After
30-45 minutes of chumming, a single WILSON'S STORM-PETREL flew in directly
from the east. The bird worked the slick briefly before moving on. Another
half-hour of chumming produced no more birds.

Lower CT River from Deep River to Essex with AG, GW and PR - 16 FORSTER'S
TERNS including family groups with begging juveniles. Some of these could
be scoped from the Deep River town dock looking up river.

Guilford, Shell Beach Rd marsh with GW and PR - 2 adult LITTLE BLUE HERONS,
very good shorebird numbers including 650 Semipalmated Sandpipers, my first
juvenile Least Sandpipers of the season, the continuing STILT SANDPIPER and
LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER (the only dowiticher on site while we were there),

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT