[CT Birds] Pesticides are killing Bees and Birds

Thomas Owsiany t.owsiany at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 1 22:17:18 EDT 2014

Breaking news: A terrifying new study has found that the exact same pesticides causing the massive global bee die-off are now killing birds as well.
The global bee die-off has been happening so fast that scientists are still scrambling to detect all the impacts. And now, this new study also finds that neonic pesticides are killing warblers, swallows, starlings and thrushes nearly as fast as the bees -- at current rates, 35 percent of the bird population will disappear in just 10 years in the areas studied.
We need to get these toxic pesticides off the market before they cause a new “silent spring” -- and our efforts are gaining momentum.
In Europe, there’s a moratorium on bee and bird-killing neonics. Ontario, Canada's biggest province, is close to becoming the first major territory in North America to ban them as well.
But Bayer -- one of the biggest producers of these toxic pesticides -- has an army of lawyers suing to overturn Europe's ban, and their million-dollar lobbyists are fighting to kill Ontario’s bee protection bill. The only way we can win is if we all fight back together.
Tom Owsiany