[CT Birds] Coventry Chimney Swifts - and roost!?

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sun Aug 3 19:28:12 EDT 2014

I go through the intersection of US Rt. 44 and North River Road  in
Coventry frequently, And for the last couple of years I've seen small  groups of
birds flying around the vicinity of that crossing,  frequently. I was pretty
sure they were Chimney Swifts, but I never stopped to  really check. Until
today. They were flying over an old wooden red barn/shed  which is labeled the
"Connecticut Glass Museum"  on the southwest corner of  the intersection.
Sure enough, Chimney Swifts. I eventually counted 11 but I'm  sure there are
more; they were spread out over the whole area. And as I  watched, several
of them flew into the chimney at the south end of the building.  I saw birds
go in and out several times. At one point the flock overhead had  dwindled
to 2, and when they flew over the chimney 7 flew out to join them!
I went home for my camera and back again and spent about an  hour trying to
take their pictures, and looking at the results, I learned  several things:
They really do have wings with feathers, not flippers.
The wings really go up and down simultaneously, not alternately (impossible
 but quite an illusion).
It is impossible to take their picture!
A lot of the birds really need a good molt, in particular, wing feathers
missing or shredded. I don't know enough about Swifts to say for sure that
chimney is a roost, but they are using it for something. Since I have seen
them there for years I assume it is no coincidence.
Some very bad pictures here:

Don Morgan,  Coventry
mntncougar at aol.com