[CT Birds] Zone-tailed Hawk...CT's next new bird?

julian hough jrhough1 at snet.net
Tue Aug 5 08:51:08 EDT 2014

A Zone-tailed Hawk, initially seen on Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts, April 25, 2014 http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S18076200 has been reported several times since then, including this recent report:

Subject: Zone-tailed Hawk near Joint Base OtisDate: Sun Aug 3 2014 14:28 pm
From: skua99 AT hotmail.com
At 1:10 I was approaching Otis on Snake Pond Rd when I saw a (the) Zone-tailed Hawk head-on, flying northeast at 2 to 3 times forest height, and directly overhead (when I saw the tail). I didn't notice any specific molt, but the feathers didn't look pristine, helping confuse me at first as to what I was looking at. I saw it for about 15 seconds total.

It goes without saying that as the season progresses, this bird is likely to move south and I have a feeling that it could well move along the coast into Connecticut, and Lighthouse Point would be a likely conduit for its journey south....pay particular attention to any Turkey Vultures this fall with this species in mind!

Best,

Julian

Julian Hough
New Haven, CT 06519