[CT Birds] Boston Hollow, Yale forest 8-5-14, N. Goshawk

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Tue Aug 5 21:21:01 EDT 2014

Quiet but still lots of birds, juvies foraging all over  now.  Juvenile
Northern Goshawk, first I've seen in 2 years. A  whole family of Red-breasted
Nuthatches foraging together and making a racket.  Sounded like there might
have been more adults in the area. Pair of Carolina  Wrens, first pair I've
seen or heard since the  big snow; only heard 1 sing  once previously, this
spring. Ebird below.

Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, Windham, US-CT
Aug 5, 2014 8:30 AM - 1:30  PM
Protocol: Traveling
10.0 mile(s)
55 species

Turkey  Vulture  1
Northern Goshawk  1     First in 2 years  in the area. Juvenile - bird of
the year, flight feathers still growing  in.
Broad-winged Hawk  1
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Mourning  Dove  4
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  2
Red-bellied  Woodpecker  1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  1
Downy Woodpecker   5
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  4
Acadian  Flycatcher  2
Eastern Phoebe  8
Great Crested Flycatcher   1
Eastern Kingbird  2
Yellow-throated Vireo  1
Blue-headed  Vireo  6
Warbling Vireo  1
Red-eyed Vireo  5
Blue  Jay  8
Common Raven  1
Tree Swallow  4
Black-capped  Chickadee  25
Tufted Titmouse  6
Red-breasted Nuthatch   4     Family group, foraging in a pine/hemlock area
near Bigelow  Brook
White-breasted Nuthatch  6
Brown Creeper  2
House  Wren  1
Winter Wren  2     Still singing in Boston  Hollow. Seem to have moved up
slope, away from the road.
Carolina Wren   2     A pair, first time since the big snow that I have had
more  than one.
Veery  8
Wood Thrush  1
American Robin   12
Gray Catbird  10
Cedar Waxwing  8
Ovenbird  6   They are less shy now, foraging in the roads
Louisiana  Waterthrush  1
Northern Waterthrush  2
Blue-winged Warbler   1     Apparent juvenile
Black-and-white Warbler   6
Common Yellowthroat  6
Yellow Warbler  2     1  seen 1 heard
Chestnut-sided Warbler  2     1 heard,  juvenile seen
Black-throated Blue Warbler  1
Yellow-rumped Warbler  (Myrtle)  3     Juveniles, foraging  together
Black-throated Green Warbler  3     Singing,  away from road
Canada Warbler  2     singing
Eastern  Towhee  6
Song Sparrow  4
Scarlet Tanager  3   2 seen, 1 singing "tic burr" repeatedly
Northern Cardinal   4
Common Grackle  2
Brown-headed Cowbird  8
Baltimore  Oriole  3