[CT Birds] Bluff Point 8/7

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 7 12:01:38 EDT 2014

from Glenn Williams
8/7/14 (05:37-08:53) - Groton, Bluff Point -- SOLITARY SANDPIPER, BOBOLINK, 2 BROWN THRASHER, 185 warblers of 7 species

List below - numbers are separated by hot corner first, then the walk in after.  I had to leave for an appointment and did not have time to really get a complete survey of the birds remaining after morning flight.  As is expected for this time of year, many birds lingered and there were at least two big feeding flocks near the "hot corner".  The most numerous birds that were definitely migrating were Yellow Warblers (39), Blue-gray Gnatcatchers (37 - the first seen for the day was a tight flock of 7 flying out together), American Redstarts (32), and Blue-winged Warbler (11).  Birds less likely to be seen later in the season included Worm-eating Warbler (4) and Warbling Vireo (4).  Similar to last year at this time, I had three singing Canada Warblers.  Last year they were all hatch-year males.  Today I only saw one of the three but it was a HY bird.  There was also a steady flow of dragonflies through the hot corner.

Canada Goose  18/1
Mute Swan  3/0
Great Blue Heron  1/0
Black-crowned Night-Heron  2/0
Osprey  4/0
Semipalmated Plover  1/0
Killdeer  1/0
Solitary Sandpiper  1/0
Least Sandpiper  11/0
Herring Gull  8/3
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon)  9/0
Mourning Dove  11/0
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  2/0
Downy Woodpecker  3/4
Northern Flicker  1/1
Eastern Wood-Pewee 0/3
Willow Flycatcher  1/0    heard singing
Least Flycatcher  1/0
Empidonax sp.  2/1
Eastern Phoebe  1/0
White-eyed Vireo 0/7 nests near the hot corner
Warbling Vireo 0/4
Red-eyed Vireo 0/2
Blue Jay  1/0
American Crow  2/0
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  1/0
Purple Martin  15/2
Tree Swallow  25/4
Barn Swallow  12/2
Black-capped Chickadee  11/19
Tufted Titmouse 0/4
White-breasted Nuthatch 0/3
Carolina Wren  3/4
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  28/9
Veery 0/2
American Robin  28/4    most flying north at dawn but not sure if they were migrating
thrush sp.  1/0
Brown Thrasher 0/2
Gray Catbird  3/18
Northern Mockingbird  2/0
European Starling  40/0
Cedar Waxwing  22/14
Worm-eating Warbler 0/4
Blue-winged Warbler  5/6
Black-and-white Warbler 0/3
American Redstart  14/18
Northern Parula  1/0
Yellow Warbler  26/13    Not an unusual number for an August front at Bluff Point - our earliest abundant warbler migrant
Canada Warbler 0/3
warbler sp.  90/5    I would guess most were Yellow Warblers, followed closely redstarts.  Many were high, in the sun, or coming out before there was much light.
Eastern Towhee 0/14
Scarlet Tanager  1/0
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  1/0
Bobolink  1/0    heard one, probably more
Red-winged Blackbird  70/0
House Finch  2/0    both doing morning flight
Northern Cardinal 0/8
American Goldfinch  26/4    a few appeared to be doing morning flight

Glenn Williams
Mystic